Making a Visa Application When Your Spouse Is In or Out of the U.S.

Making a Visa Application When Your Spouse Is In or Out of the U.S.

If you are a U.S. citizen and your spouse is a foreign national, chances are that you may be considering your options for getting a family visa that will enable them to get a Green Card so that they can live permanently with you in the country. Despite the fact that it might seem intimidating, with careful planning, you can successfully apply for and obtain a spouse visa. Whether your spouse is already in the country or is still outside, there are a few things to consider while requesting a visa. Consult a U.S Citizen Lawyer for advice today. 

Eligibility criteria:

Suppose you recently got married and your spouse is not from the U.S. If you are wondering about the eligibility criteria, know that you need to be older than 18 in order to sponsor your spouse for an immigration visa. Even the sponsor of an Affidavit of Support, which must be submitted with the application even though there is no minimum age requirement for filing a visa application, must be at least 18 years old. Apart from that, it’s imperative that you have a home in the US permanently and have plans to stay there for the foreseeable future.

Note that if your spouse is already living in the U.S., you’ll be able to apply for an adjustment of status. What does that mean? It essentially suggests that once recognized, your spouse will be recognized as a citizen of the U.S. and will also be issued a green card. To do this, you’ll have to fill out forms like I-130 and I-485 which are applications for alien relative and status adjustment. On top of all of this, you’ll also have to submit relevant documents like your spouse’s birth certificate, marriage certificate, and passport. Once all the documents are verified, your spouse will get their green card. 

Even if your spouse is outside the United States and you want them to move here, you’ll have to fill out the I-130 form and provide all the necessary documents to demonstrate that the marriage is real. 

Final thoughts:

The process is long and tiring, so it’s advisable to get the help of a professional lawyer. If you’re filing for citizenship and are new to this area, chances are that you’ll often feel lost about what to do. A citizenship lawyer can help you with that.