Going to a physical therapist can be intimidating for anyone, especially for those who are new to the process. Not knowing what to expect can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. With the right preparation and knowledge, a visit to the physical therapist can be a positive experience. In this guide, you will learn what to expect when you go to a physical therapist, the best ways to prepare for your visit, and the benefits of physical therapy. This guide will provide you with the information and confidence you need to make your physical therapy experience a success.
What to Expect During Your First Visit
First, let’s talk about what you can expect on your first visit to a physical therapist like Robert Stravinsky. There will be paperwork for you to fill out. This is often a liability release form to protect the therapist in case you have an accident during your session. Some therapists may also ask you to fill out intake forms that ask about your health history (this will depend on your condition). Then, the therapist will go over your diagnosis and treatment plan with you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. After this, the therapist will likely do an assessment on you. This typically consists of observing your movements and testing your strength and flexibility. This can be very overwhelming if it’s your first time. If this is the case, take a deep breath, relax, and remember that the therapist is there to help you. The therapist will likely also ask you questions throughout the assessment. This is because the therapist wants to know how your pain and symptoms are impacting your daily activities. This way, the therapist can make sure your treatment plan addresses your needs and goals.
Benefits of Physical Therapy
Physical therapy is a common treatment that many people turn to when they are dealing with an injury or chronic pain. If you’ve been thinking about starting physical therapy, you may be curious about the benefits of this treatment. Here’s what you can expect from physical therapy:
- Physical therapy can help people recover from a wide variety of injuries. It uses movement and exercises to strengthen and stretch the muscles that have become weak or stiff.
- Physical therapy can also help improve your range of motion, which can make it easier to do daily activities like dressing and walking.
- Physical therapy can also help people who have chronic pain by reducing inflammation and teaching them ways to manage their pain.
- It can also improve your sleep as it can reduce stress and anxiety, which are both common causes of sleeplessness.
- Physical therapy is one of the most effective ways to treat injury and chronic pain. It can improve your quality of life by making it easier to do daily activities.
Once you find the right therapist for you like Robert Stravinsky, you can rest assured that you will receive the treatment you need to achieve your goals and regain your health.